Hi Rhino, all,

Rhino wrote:
Hi Chris, Joerg, and everyone else following this discussion,

Joerg, you are correct; the best way to sum the tables is individually and then add the sums together with program logic of some kind, [[...]]

I'm afraid I jumped in and gave correct but irrelevant information. I saw that Chris's query lacked joining conditions so I explained why they were needed and how to write them. Unfortunately, this was premature: I should have thought about the basic problem more carefully first. [[...]]

My apologies to all for wasting your time with an inappropriate solution. I'll try not to do that again!

Well, things like this happen, and none of us is proof against them.

IMO, that is what a mailing list is good for:
- that we get info, tipps, ... from each other,
- that we improve on existing material, reaching better overall results,
- that we can correct each other where we went astray,
- and that we even learn from published errors.

Don't be too angry at yourself, such incidents may also provide help to others!

Regards
and thanks for _all_ your replies,

Jörg

MySQL AB, www.mysql.com