Hello all,

I just inherited an application that has 2 tables under consideration, "events"
and "attribute_master". They are linked on (events.eventID =
attribute_master.id AND attribute_master.tableis = 'events'). In other words,
attribute_master.id is kinda like a foreign key to events.eventID, but only
where attribute_master.tableis = 'events'.

I have ommited some columns from 'events' that I am fairly certain are NOT
germane to my question:

CREATE TABLE attribute_master (
  tableis varchar(128) NOT NULL default '',
  id int(12) NOT NULL default '0',
  attributeID int(8) NOT NULL default '0',
  PRIMARY KEY  (tableis,id,attributeID)
) TYPE=MyISAM;

CREATE TABLE events (
  eventID mediumint(9) NOT NULL auto_increment,
  eventReview text NOT NULL,
  status tinyint(1) NOT NULL default '0',
  modlast int(8) NOT NULL default '0',
  PRIMARY KEY  (eventID)
) TYPE=MyISAM

#### Now, an intersting query:
SELECT
        events.eventID AS id,
        attribute_master.attributeID AS attrib_id
FROM
        events,
        attribute_master
WHERE
        events.status='8' AND
        events.eventReview!='' AND
        events.modlast > 1146470445 AND
        events.eventID = attribute_master.id AND
        attribute_master.tableis = 'events'
GROUP BY
        attribute_master.id

So here's my question(s): Given this query, how can on GROUP BY operate on a
column that doesn't appear in the SELECT list? Secondly, I thought that every
column listed in the SELECT clause would have to be in an aggregate function or
mentioned in the GROUP BY...how am I wrong?

--
Wellington