RV Tec schrieb:
Folks,

I had some recommendations about operating system last time I posted, and decided to follow it. It's been a couple of weeks running Gentoo Linux 2006.0 SMP 2.6.15-gentoo-r5, with glibc 2.4 (NPTL), gcc 3.4.4, XFS as my FS, deadline scheduler and this has proven to be really stable -- MySQL is 4.0.26 (with gentoo patches, but built on my own), and the machine is a 2x250 Opteron, 2GB RAM, with LSI MegaRAID 320 (15k RPM disks).

Although this is perfectly fine, I have some questions that maybe you guys can help me out.

1) Is there a way to see MySQL using both processors? Is SMP helpful in this case? (This server is dedicated to MySQL, only one instance).

PS (*nix) should tell you how your processors are used.

2) Is there a way to confirm that MySQL is using NPTL? The glibc 2.4 is NPTL only, but I'm not sure if this is right.

Depends on which lib mysql uses in your case.

3) My database is entirely MyISAM, reaching almost 35GB, there are 3 large tables with (approx) 6GB each. And this can really slow things down with joins. How can I make this perform better? More RAM? The MYI files are almost twice the size of its respective MYD (lotsof indexes).

Read the Optimization sections of the mysql docs.
More RAM will speed it up also.

Barry
--
Smileys rule (cX.x)C --o(^_^o)
Dance for me! ^(^_^)o (o^_^)o o(^_^)^ o(^_^o)