I worked on a system years ago that used "binary encoded" integer for
latitude & longitude.
The Most Significant Bit (MSB) was a sign bit ( + or -).
The next bit was 180 degrees
The next bit was 090 degrees
The next bit was 045 degrees.
etc
Functions were written to transform these into human readable vlaues.
The beauty of this was that integer addition and subtraction could used
directly on these values.