I diagree on point 1.  If you warn your members that their password is
insecure, and if you e-mail out passwords anyway, there's no reason
not to have a secure password.  Many people I know use an insecure
password for many things, from silly required free registration sites
(go ahead, break into my Washington Post account) to other services
not important to them.

But do I really care if someone ganks my wikipedia password?

If you're a bank, sure, encrypt.  Or if you have important data.  But
it's not a hard and fast rule.

In fact, I'd venture to say "don't use hard and fast rules."  THINK
about your situation, and if it makes sense.  Does using SSL make
sense?  Does using encryption make sense?

-Sheeri