Daevid,

Lose the UPDATE clause. All you need (and all that's permitted) is SET NEW ...
And lose the WHERE clause. It's redundant (also not permitted).
If you need a value from another table, DECLARE a var and write a SELECT INTO for it.
(BTW, if your database looks up latitude & longitude from zipcodes, why bother copying them into store_coord?)

PB

This is my first trigger I'm trying to write.

I have two tables. 'stores' and 'zipcodes'.

I want to automatically set the latitude and longitude of

the store using

it's zipcode lookup in the zipcode table.

DELIMITER $$;

DROP TRIGGER `store_coord`$$

create trigger `store_coord` BEFORE INSERT on `stores`
for each row BEGIN
    UPDATE stores AS s, zipcodes AS z
SET s.latitude = z.latitude,
    s.longitude = z.longitude
WHERE s.zip = z.zip AND s.id = NEW.id;
  END;
$$

First things first ...

Updating a row that doesn't exist yet (BEFORE INSERT trigger)
doesn't make sense :-)

Why not simply adjust it like this:
new.latitude := <your looked up latitude>
new.longitude := <your looked up longitude>

Given that it's a "before insert", modifying the NEW.<column> values,
these will be stored in the table.

So when I do this:

insert into `stores` (id, name, zip) values (10,'test

company',  14526);

I get this error

Error Code : 1442
Can't update table 'stores' in stored function/trigger because it is
already used by statement which invoked this stored function/trigger.

I must not be doing something right, I've tried all these combinations and
ALL give that same error message:

DELIMITER $$;
DROP TRIGGER `store_coord`$$
create trigger `store_coord` BEFORE INSERT on `stores`
	for each row BEGIN
	    UPDATE stores AS s, zipcodes AS z
	SET NEW.latitude = z.latitude,
	    NEW.longitude = z.longitude
	WHERE s.zip = z.zip AND s.id = NEW.id;
  END;
$$

DELIMITER $$;
DROP TRIGGER `store_coord`$$
create trigger `store_coord` BEFORE INSERT on `stores`
	for each row BEGIN
	    UPDATE stores AS s, zipcodes AS z
	SET NEW.latitude := z.latitude,
	    NEW.longitude := z.longitude
	WHERE s.zip = z.zip AND s.id = NEW.id;
  END;
$$

DELIMITER $$;
DROP TRIGGER `store_coord`$$
create trigger `store_coord` AFTER INSERT on `stores`
	for each row BEGIN
	    UPDATE stores AS s, zipcodes AS z
	SET s.latitude = z.latitude,
	    s.longitude = z.longitude