Hi,

On Friday 19 May 2006 17:12, sheeri kritzer wrote:
> I've found that queries that take a long time cause lag time.

Yes, I know, especially on a busy server. The master handles multiple
statements (connections) in parallel, but the slave processes them serially.

My 4.1.10 setup does about 170 queries/second, of which about a third are
update statements, and I hardly ever got a lag above approximately 900
seconds.

> Replication on a slave has 2 threads -- one to retrieve stuff from the
> logs, and another to actually run the DML queries.  Therefore, while
> one thread is stuck on a looooonnnnggg query, the other thread is
> still gathering stuff from the master, and that causes lag times.
>
> The value you gave for seconds_behind_master is about 58 hours -- that
> seems unusually high.  What are you doing to flush logs, etc?

Nothing special, just some updates on a single database. No flushing of
logs... The strange thing is that the condition of extremely high lag lasts
only a couple of seconds, and then tapers back very quickly to zero.

Martijn

> On 5/19/06, Martijn van den Burg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Recently I created a new replication set up with 5.0.18-standard-log on
> > Solaris 8 (one master, one slave).
> >
> > Replication is running, but periodically (after a bunch of INSERT/UPDATE
> > statements) there is a very large replication lag, with
> > Seconds_Behind_Master values of 210000 and more. This situation lasts for
> > a few seconds and then all is normal.
> >
> > What could be the cause? I never had this happen with 4.1.10.
> >
> > Apologies for cross-posting; the volume on the 'replication' list is so
> > low that I feared there might be no answer ;)
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Martijn
> >
> > --

</Martijn>