Hi!

Peter> Best group member,
Peter> My computer stopped working. And I was able to install Windows on another
Peter> partition and now I face one problem. I was running Windows with MySQL
4.1.

Peter> I have all C: working, and can access all files.

Peter> The first question: Can I recover that data from MySQL?

Peter> The second question: How can I do that? (All attempts to repair Windows
has
Peter> failed, so that option is gone)

Peter> I have gone thru the manual but all information there seems to be
related to
Peter> if the database crashes. And some options are there when you do make
Peter> backups, but I do not have the backups.

Peter> A "desperate" soul...

In principle you can just copy the tables from one partition/computer to
another and start using them. (The MySQL version doesn't have to
exactly the same, as long as the new one is newer than the old one).

To fix this:

- Install MySQL on your new partition (computer)
- Copy all files in the MySQL data directory (normally C:\mysql\data)
  to your new partition. If the path is different, you may have to
  create a my.cnf file that includes the --basedir and --datadir
  options to your new path.
- Restart MySQL.
- Check/repair your tables by using from the command line:
  C:\mysql\bin\mysqlcheck --all-databases --auto-repair

Regards,
Monty
CTO of MySQL AB