On 5/24/06, Christopher Korn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello everyone,

Today a script killed a few InnoDB tables in my database. Although I have backups (2 days
old) I want to recover - if possible - a more current state of my database. Is it
possible to recover tables via the "ib_logfileX" files?
If i simply open the files with VIm I can see that much of the data I need is
in this file.

Greetings,
Chris
--
--chris [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Do you have binary logging enabled from the time of your last backup
,if so you could try to run it to get back the data upto the point
where your tables were deleted. You could try doing this accoring to
the manual at

http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/point_in_time_recovery.html

It has various methods which will suit your needs, just follow them carefully...
Thats the best way to recover lost data due to an unfortunate delete(s)....

The ib_logfileX files are log files used by the innodb storage engine
mainly to rollback any uncommitted transactions so that the database
is in a consistent state after it recovers from a crash, so I don't
think you could use that file for recovery of lost data, and yes the
file is basically text, but its only understood by the innodb storage
engine ( as far as I know)

Kishore Jalleda
http://kjalleda.googlepages.com/mysqlprojects