From: Peter Brawley [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 3:56 PM
To: Brian Menke
Cc: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: Re: Fun with Dates and Incentives.

Brian,

CURRENT_TIMESTAMP gives you time in your server's timezone. UTC_TIMESTAMP
gives GM (universal) time, so dispenses with all timezone adjustments.
Trouble is, you cannot use it as a defalt. You have to pass it as an INSERT
value.

PB

-----

Brian Menke wrote:

Peter, thanks for the detailed info. I will figure out how to get rid of the
UNIQUE key. Somehow that got added. Thanks for the catch. As far as INT for
student id goes, I'm using email because it will be unique, and offers an
easy way to track a user through the app I'm building (user name, password,
session id's etc.) but I do get what you are saying. Thanks for the
UTC_TIMESTAMP suggestion. Although, since I haven't had a lot of experience,
I don't really understand why it is better than CURRENT_TIMESTAMP. But.
that's why I asked for advice :-)

-Brian

  _____