Thank you Sheeri for answering,

I guess this syntax works for you, but
for me NO, this DO NOT work ( I run MySQL 4.21 , on Linux Debian sarge )

mysql> GRANT FILE ON dr4.* to 'wr'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'the_passwd';
ERROR 1221 (HY000): Incorrect usage of DB GRANT and GLOBAL PRIVILEGES

the error code make no sense to me ( I tried various combination of "'" )
# Error: 1221 SQLSTATE: HY000 (ER_WRONG_USAGE) Message: Incorrect usage of %s and %s

It make no sense because the SAME usage of %s works fine in one command, not in the other command (the one for file privilege).

I am running Mysql as root, I can create a new user, but not with the file (as you can read hereafter).

mysql> GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, CREATE , FILE ON dr4.* to 'moi'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'the_passwd';
ERROR 1221 (HY000): Incorrect usage of DB GRANT and GLOBAL PRIVILEGES

mysql> GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, CREATE ON dr4.* to 'moi'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'the_passwd';
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> GRANT FILE ON dr4.* to 'moi'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'the_passwd';
ERROR 1221 (HY000): Incorrect usage of DB GRANT and GLOBAL PRIVILEGES

-----