Rhino wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Meyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "List: MySQL" <mysql@lists.mysql.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 5:09 PM
Subject: Query problem

Setup

TITLES:
TITLE_ID

AUTHORS:
AUTHOR_ID

TITLE_AUTHOR:
(TITLE_ID,AUTHOR_ID)

Problem:
Given a title, I need to find all the authors who aren't connected with that particular book.

That's a pretty odd requirement, I must say. If your database has thousands or millions of books, you'd have to assume that virtually ALL of the authors in the database are NOT connected with a particular book.

Actually, this is more along the lines of a PHP form where I am adding an author to a title when the title is in the database. I want to create a select list where the current authors in the database are shown, but not the ones already associated with that title. Oh yeah, and one other thing, title and book are not synonymous in this one. I'll give you the breakdown:

TITLES:
TITLE_ID

AUTHORS:
AUTHOR_ID