On Jun 3, 2006, at 7:54 PM, Richard wrote:

I have been using a database for several years that uses many 'lookup' style tables. i.e. no updates to these tables. I dumped the whole thing into an INNODB database for simplicity, but I now wonder if I can speed things up if I put only my updatable tables in INNODB (I need row level locking for these) and put all
the lookup tables in MyISAM.

The benchmarks I have looked at don't seem to reveal either as a clear winner,
but I am probably not interpreting them properly.

Probably the only real answer is to benchmark your particular application.

That said, for any table that has high frequency writes while others are trying to read or write your only option is InnoDB. Similarly, if you want to do a live backup of a large table without shutting off write access you have to use InnoDB.

If you are doing simple reads, even at very high volume you'll probably find MyISAM as fast or faster.

You can mix and match them in general to get the right performance for each table. There are a few things that InnoDB won't handle (fulltext searches, some others) that will require MyISAM, but in general they are pretty much complete substitutes.

InnoDB tables do take up more space than MyISAM in general, but other than that we've found no real downside to making everything InnoDB (other than the fact that the information sources are a little less common for InnoDB).

From what you say, it sounds like all InnoDB or InnoDB for the tables with write and MyISAM for the others would work for you.

Good luck,
Ware Adams