So, by using MacOS X, you are using a *nix based system.

Everything posted to this list is usually based in code (as in WebApps) or
by the MySQL command line. You need to learn how to use the command line
(terminal.app) and SQL. There are lots of books out there, including on
using and installing MySQL. Might be advantageous to buy one. Or you can
read the free and wonderful manual provided by MySQL on their website.

So, the command written by Daniel is used on the command line for accessing
the database(s).

To dump all your databases and "uninstall" MySQL, just stop the service
        terminal> mysqladmin shutdown

and then delete the installation directory. Then restart the installation.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE --- Read the manual before reinstalling! Even if you
only read the section on Installing MySQL
(http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/installing.html) that will help
immensely with your original problems.

Hope this helps!

J.R.