You can't just change the name without changing (or stating) the type.

ALTER TABLE actors CHANGE director_id actos_id varchar(96) default NULL;

J.R.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Sargent [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 10:10 AM
To: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax;

Hi All,

gee I really hate bugging you all for this. I looked at this page,

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/alter-table.html

which has this,

To change column |a| from |INTEGER| to |TINYINT NOT NULL| (leaving the name
the same), and to change column |b| from |CHAR(10)| to |CHAR(20)| as well as
renaming it from |b| to |c|:

ALTER TABLE t2 MODIFY a TINYINT NOT NULL, CHANGE b c CHAR(20);

for changing the name of a column, right? So, why doesn't the below work?

mysql> ALTER TABLE actors CHANGE director_id actor_id;

I get this,

ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual
that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use
near '' at line 1

Sorry, little confused right about now, eh. Cheers.

Mark Sargent.