Hi,

I wonder if anyone could explain the rational behind the following:
(MySQL-5.0.22)

We have a MyISam table with ~100Gb size.
We start creating an index.
The procedure starts making temporary files:

-rw-rw----  1 mysql mysql        11430 Jun  7 10:27 #sql-79d6_cc.frm
-rw-rw----  1 mysql mysql         1024 Jun  7 10:27 #sql-79d6_cc.MYI
-rw-rw----  1 mysql mysql  80824238080 Jun  7 11:35 #sql-79d6_cc.MYD
(this is while the indexing is still running)

I understand the first two, but i was surprised that the entire 100Gb
.MYD gets duplicated during the indexing. At the end, I believe the
#sql-79d6_cc.MYD table replaces the original.

Is indexing also performing an "optimize table" at the same time?
Naively i would have tought that when we index, only an extra index
file is created, and the original table data is not touched.

Gas