I am creating a new table from the fields of an existing table.

create table newtable select a+b+c col1 from oldtable

I don't want to create newtable ahead of time because it will have around 200 fields in it and it gets clobbered every time I run the query.

The problem with the create table example above, the col1 ends up being Double and I'd like it as Float because I don't need that much precision in newtable. Also I want Float because it takes a Select statement 1.05 seconds to return 1 row from newtable when the table has only 1 row. I figure changing the 60 or 70 Double columns to Float should speed things up some.

Cast doesn't work with Float. Is there a way to force the calculations to use Float instead of Double? TIA

Mike