> At 10:20 AM 6/8/2006, you wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I am trying to import a 3.2Gb sql dump file back into my sql server
> (4.1.12)
> >and im coming across the following error:
> >
> >mysql: Out of memory (Needed 178723240 bytes)
> >mysql: Out of memory (Needed 178719144 bytes)
> >
> >That error comes up after about 30 minutes worth of import and I
would
> guess
> >about half way through the import.
>
> What does "Show Processlist" say its doing just before the crash? I've
had
> problems with Load Data on a very large table 500 million rows because
the
> machine did not have enough memory to build the index. The data was
loaded
> just fine, it's building the index that hung it out to dry because
that
> eats up memory like crazy. How much memory do you have on your
machine?
> The
> cheapest solution might be to go out and get a few more gb of RAM.

If indexing is the problem when loading the dump, are there not options
to have mysqldump not disable the indexes until the import is complete,
so that the index is generated as records are inserted, instead of all
in one shot?

Ah, here it is... I've never used this before, but a quick test shows it
does what I assumed it does.  (I'm running 5.0, so mileage may vary in
4.1)

mysqldump --disable-keys=false <database> [table]

Of course, this is assuming that you have the luxury of re-exporting
this data from the original source.

Dan.

This e-mail transmission is strictly confidential and intended solely
for the person or organization to whom it is addressed. It may contain
privileged and confidential information and if you are not the intended
recipient, you must not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance
on it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender
as soon as possible and delete the e-mail message and any attachment(s).
This message has been scanned for viruses by TechTeam's email gateway.