Hello Ben, all!

Ben Burford wrote:
Hello,

This is my first message, I'm an absolute beginner in Mysql.  I did a defaul
t installation of version 3.23.58 on RH Linux AS3.0.  [[...]]

I will not comment on the backup issue, that has been done already.

However, I _strongly_ urge you to upgrade to 4.1 (or, even better, 5.0) as soon as possible,
or to scrap your 3.23 and restart from scratch using 4.1 or 5.0.

There have been so many improvements (both bug fixes and features) in comparison to 3.23 that I do not see any good reason to use that old version for which you will never get upgrades,
as for any difficulty you will get the hint: Upgrade!

Regards,
Joerg

MySQL AB, www.mysql.com