Hello, all:

I am pleased to announce the MySQL Journal. During the past two weeks, I've been discussing the journal with MySQL AB, and the plan that's been devised benefits all involved, including authors, readers, the community, and MySQL AB.

Let me outline how the journal will operate:

* The name of the magazine is Tabula: The Journal of MySQL Development. The domain name of the magazine will be themysqljournal.com. The trademark "MySQL" is being used with the permission of MySQL AB.

* The magazine is dedicated to MySQL development, deployment, maintenance, and programming.

* Of course, since MySQL is a database, there are any number of languages, toolkits, libraries, and so on, that interact with MySQL. All of those topics -- a wide range of open source topics -- will also be covered in the journal. That includes, but isn't limited to, Rails, Perl's DBI and DBIx, PHP, Python, Java, .NET, scripting, administration, backups, replication, performance tuning, migration from other databases, and more.

* The magazine will be published monthly and will be distributed solely as a personalized, password-protected, watermarked PDF.

* Each issue of the magazine will include three feature stories, six or so columns (TBD), and other content to support the community, such as calendars, news, puzzles, profiles, interviews, press releases, software releases, etc.

* Each author must warrant that the material submitted to the journal is original, unencumbered by copyright restrictions, and has not been published previously.

* Any previously-published material (whether published online or in print) used in a contribution to the journal must be used with written permission or in strict accordance with the material's governing license.

* Each author retains his or her copyright in the original material contributed to the journal. Except for the conditions listed below (points 6-8), the author is free to reuse the material without limitation.

* Each author grants the journal first serial rights and perpetual use rights in all forms of media.

* Each author agrees to not publish his or her contribution online or in another periodical (magazine, technical journal) for sixty (60) days after the contribution is published and made available to the public.

* However, authors may repurpose the material freely and at any time for conferences, books, courses, and lectures, and for use within his or her organization.

* Thirty (30) days after first publication, MySQL AB has the right to post each article on its own MySQL Network.

* Subscribers will have early access to all draft articles and will have the opportunity to comment and contribute. This is a form of peer review and a perk for subscribers.

* Each author will be compensated for the rights granted above. Features earn $750 for 3,500-4000 words. Columns earn $500 for 2,500 words. Fees for shorter content, such as Lightning Articles, puzzles, and tips and tricks will be determined shortly, but would likely be $50-$100 for 1,000 words or less.

* Annual subscriptions to Tabula will be $72.00.

* Individual issues and back issues will be available for sale from the web site.

* Advertising is accepted and encouraged. A full-page ad is $2,000; other sizes include half-page (either vertical or horizontal), one- third page (vertical only), and quarter-page, each priced proportionally. A text-only ad in the "Marketplace" section, ideal for classifieds, job postings, and services is $100 for 200 words + logo.

* All bylines and advertisements may include links and email addresses. The PDF will be "clickable" to jump to previous material, other sites, code downloads, and authors' and vendors' web sites.

One caveat: some minimum number of subscribers -- probably above 1,000 -- is needed to warrant the launch of the magazine. If that minimum is not met, the magazine may be cancelled and all monies will be refunded to subscribers.

I think this is the big stuff. Again, the MySQL AB connection is a pleasant addition to the publishing plan. The company would like the journal to succeed and has been very supportive. For clarity, MySQL AB is not obligated to fund, participate, subsidize, advertise, or contribute to the journal. The journal is an independent endeavor, using the MySQL mark with permission.

What's next?

1. Accept proposals for columns and features and other content. (Propose something now! Show your mastery, innovation, complex use, invaluable trick or tip!)

2. Identify each regular column and its author.

3. Identify at least nine features.

4. Describe the format(s) for lightning articles.

5. Publish the writer's kit.

6. Get the web site up and running.

7. Collect community information.

8. Contact vendors to encourage contributions and advertising.

9. Set deadlines for issue #1 and set a launch date.

10. Get the word out!

The permanent staff of the magazine has considerable experience editing and producing technical articles. The magazine has already been designed and looks great!

If you want to receive email when subscriptions are available, please send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I know this posting is long, but I wanted to try and answer the most pressing questions that authors and advertisers tend to have. If you have any questions, please send me email. You are welcome to forward this to others.

I look forward to your ideas, suggestions, and contributions!

Sam Flywheel, Principal
The Flywheel, Gadget, and Sprocket Co.
Publisher, Tabula

email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]