Miles, can you access the remote database from any other tools on your local machine? mysql command line, etc.

You state you can use phpmyadmin, but is that installed at your hosting provider?

It's not unusual for hosting providers to lock down their database hosts to only allow access from other hosts on the provider's network. Added security, added control. My provider, pair Networks, by default locks the dbs down to their network only, but I have the option to open them up.

Dan

Miles Thompson wrote:
I have searched the MySQL Administrator forum for help on this, but no joy.

When I try to conect to a database on Dreamhost, using MySQL Administrator, I get this error, with a red "X" in a Windows dialog box:
(The name of the database and and user are changed)
Could not connect to the specified instance.
MySQL Error Number 1045
Access denied for user'xxxtest'@'pc-24-222-199-71.cpe.rushcomm.ca'(using
password: YES)

If you want to check the network connection, please click the PING button

[OK]     [PING]

It pings OK, and I can use phpMyAdmin, I just wanted to try a more direct tool. Dreamhost has not been a lot of help. I suspect it's because MySQL Administrator is too powerful.

Regards - Miles Thompson