On Friday 16 June 2006 03:01 pm, Daniel McQuay wrote:
> hello list,
>
> i have been receiving random emails infected with viruses from what appear
> to be the mysql mailing list. gmail kills the virus form me but i thought i
> would let y'all know about this,  just to be on the safe side. here are the
> details of the email.

You've now experienced the lovely and wonderful world of email header
spoofing.  When  you send an email, you get headers sent with it.  They
generally follow the format of:

Header: Value

Now, given that, you can put darn well anything you want in there.  So I could
say:

From: mysql@lists.mysql.com

Through some magic mojo and "become" the MySQL mailing list.  So in
conclusion, don't take what you see worth a grain of salt when it comes to
who things are from in the email world.
--
Chris White
PHP Programmer/DB PLEASE NO MORE LEFT JOINS ;(