All customer sites will use the same application, but each will have its
own set of 3 databases. In believe the nature of the application
confines users to brief, bursty selects and updates except possibly when
they run reports. I have not specifically analyzed reporting, but I ran
a 2-hour sampling today of a client site with 25 users during a period
of typical workload. Here's the overall disk statistics:

% Read Time:    5.26
% Write Time:   5.00
Avg Bytes/Read: 2918
Avg Bytes/Write:        6563
Avg Read Queue: .05
Avg Write Queue:        .013
Avg Disk Secs/Read:     .013
Avg Disk Secs/Write:    .004
Avg Read Bytes/Sec:     15151
Avg Write Bytes/Sec:    66904
Avg Disk Reads/Sec:     3
Avg Disk Writes/Sec:    9

The numbers are very interesting. The system writes to disk 3 times more
often than it reads, and the writes are more than double the size. Bytes
written per second is 4 times higher than bytes read. Yet, on average,
reads take longer than writes and they tend to stack up in the queue a
little more, which could explain why % Read Time is slightly higher.
This is a RAID 1 array. System has plenty of RAM and was not swapping.

All in all, the application appears write-heavy, but I don't think
anyone can hog all the disk I/O.

So, your opinion is that one instance of MySQL with a lot of databases
is just as efficient as multiple MySQL instances? (Note: I WILL have to
run separate instances in some cases because some customers are using
slightly different versions of the application.)

--Eric