Eric, I sent you a note about hardware this morning as well, but here's a further thought -

Don't know if this is the case, but is this the exact same application served to 100 different customers? And are Database-2 and Database-3 the same for every customer? Some kind of reference info perhaps? If so, split those off into a single "reference" database and share it across all your customers - you'll have an easier time managing MySQL, and you should gain something in performance due to MySQL being able to effectively cache some of the info.

Maybe that's not what you've got but thought I'd mention it in case.

Dan

Robinson, Eric wrote:
I asked this question previously but didn't get much response so I'll
try again.

Our server will be home to 100 separate clients. Each client will have
their own set of databases that will be accessed by 10-60 users at
each client's site.

Each client has 3 databases.

Database-1: 500 tables. 13 tables sized 10-100MB. Remaining tables all
less that 10MB. (This is the only database that is updated. The others
are just for reference.) Main table grows at a rate of a few hundred
MB/year.

Database-2: 50 tables. 3 tables sized 10-100MB. All other tables less
than 10MB. No data growth.

Database-3: 179 tables. 10 tables sized 1-15MB. All other tables less
than 1MB. No data growth.

So...

Total databses: 300
Total tables: 72,900

Q: In terms of performance, is it better for each customer to have its
own instance of MySQL, each serving 3 databases, or is it better to have
one instance of MySQL serving 300 databases?

--Eric

Disclaimer - June 19, 2006 This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for [EMAIL PROTECTED] If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and might not represent those of Physician Select Management (PSM) or Physician's Managed Care (PMC). Warning: Although the message sender has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, neither PSM nor PMC can accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.