From: David Logan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, 19 June 2006 10:36 a.m.
To: Graham Reeds
Cc: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: Re: Alter table command don't work

Graham Reeds wrote:

> Quentin Bennett wrote:
>
>> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/alter-table.html
>>
>> From MySQL 4.1.2 on, if you want to change the table default
>> character set and all character columns (CHAR, VARCHAR, TEXT) to a
>> new character set, use a statement like this: ALTER TABLE tbl_name
>> CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET charset_name;
>

> That is the syntax I used.  What about prior to 4.1.2?

Perhaps it was not available? See
http://www.dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/charset-table.htm

You may have to dump the data and then reload into a new table with the
correct charset. You may be able to copy it using an INSERT .... SELECT
(not sure though, haven't had to do it)

Regards

--

David Logan
South Australia

when in trouble, or in doubt
run in circles, scream and shout

The information contained in this email is privileged and confidential and
intended for the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you
are asked to respect that confidentiality and not disclose, copy or make use
of its contents. If received in error you are asked to destroy this email
and contact the sender immediately. Your assistance is appreciated.