Helen M Hudson schrieb:
Hi all

I'm gradually learning how much simpler it is to do things with joins.  I can
tell that I haven't seen the light yet... but I'm expecting fireworks pretty
soon when it all falls into place brain-wise and I can wallow in the joy of
smaller more efficient sql!

I'd really appreciate a little help with this one:

I have an order database containing multiple rows for each order.  The problem
is that if there is further activity on an order in future days, the system
feeding me resends the whole order again.  So I'd like a way of excluding all

So, if my table structure was:
id | date   | order_ref | amount
1  | 1/1/01 | 100       | 1000 << these 2 are the rows
2  | 1/1/01 | 100       | 200  << i want to exclude
3  | 2/1/01 | 100       | 1000
4  | 2/1/01 | 100       | 200
5  | 2/1/01 | 100       | 50

I'd like to end up with
latest_date_on_order | order_ref | sum(amount)
2/1/01               | 100       | 1250

I know its a one-liner for someone who has reached the light... so any help
very much appreciated!

Helen

Well...

MAX(date) AS latest_date_on_order, SUM(amount) FROM table GROUP BY date

is it that what you looked for?

Barry
--
Smileys rule (cX.x)C --o(^_^o)
Dance for me! ^(^_^)o (o^_^)o o(^_^)^ o(^_^o)