Kevin Old schrieb:
Hello everyone,

I had a horrible thing happen to me this morning and wanted to make it
known to the community.

I needed to delete a record from a very large table (yes, it was
backed up) and like the cli interface of mysql.  I ran this query:

delete from tablename where id - 12345;

Notice that I accidentally hit the dash (-) instead of the equal (=).
It proved to be disasterous as it deleted all the records from that
table.

Lucky for me I had a backup from last night and not too many records
were added since then and I was able to restore.

For the record, I am aware of the "select before delete" method, but
didn't use it in this one instance and it meant a few hours restoring
data.

Just wanted to throw this out and see if others had possible solutions
for working with the mysql cli interface for maybe setting up "rules"
for it to cancel a query if it contains a certain character (like the
dash).  Fat chance there is, but I thought I'd ask.

Hope this helps someone,
Kevin

On this one use LIMIT.
If you want to delete specific rows alway use LIMIT.

even if you f**k up you "just" have deleted one row.

If you are luck it is an old one and easy restoreable.

Barry

--
Smileys rule (cX.x)C --o(^_^o)
Dance for me! ^(^_^)o (o^_^)o o(^_^)^ o(^_^o)