Is the table heavily indexed? Indexes cause inserts and deletes (and updates
under certain conditions) to slow down.

Also, since you are deleting approx 2.5% of your rows, your delete-statement must have a where-clause. You might want to do an explain-plan on it to make sure it's not an optimization issue.

I would look at your disk drives and their interface (ATA, SATA, SCSI). I'm
sure there is a fair bit of disk-writing going on.

You can try to drop some un-needed indexes (if there are any) and see if that helps. You could also drop all indexes except the one with the least cardinality in the where-clause of your delete script. That might not be feasible, however.

Finally, try converting the table to InnoDB (you'll need to do some configuration in your my.cnf) - it tends to perform better in circumstances such as yours. I would do this on a test server first.

David

mos wrote:
I need to delete 200,000 rows from an 8 million row MyISAM table using an index. It's taking 20 minutes which is quite slow. Is there any way to speed it up? TIA

Mike
MySQL 4.1.10