Hello all,

Just looking for some advice from any of you that have done what I'm
about to do.  I'm being forced by management to make a whole lot of
changes to our current MySQL db at one time.  Something I'm personnaly
not thrilled with.

Current config:

Redhat 9
MySQL ver 4.0.16
DB Engine MyISAM for all tables.
48G total space
1G ram

New config:

RH ES3
MySQL ver 5.x (latest)
Mix of MyISAM and InnoDB
~140gig total space
1G ram

Current my.cnf

# The MySQL server
[mysqld]
datadir=/var/lib/mysql
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
log-bin
log-slave-updates
server-id=1
port = 3306
skip-locking
key_buffer = 384M
max_allowed_packet = 1M
table_cache = 512
sort_buffer_size = 2M
read_buffer_size = 2M
myisam_sort_buffer_size = 64M
thread_cache = 8
query_cache_size = 32M
# Try number of CPU's*2 for thread_concurrency
thread_concurrency = 4
set-variable= max_connections=500

[mysql.server]
user=mysql
basedir=/var/lib

[safe_mysqld]
err-log=/var/log/mysqld.log
pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid

[mysqldump]
quick
max_allowed_packet = 16M

[mysql]
no-auto-rehash
# Remove the next comment character if you are not familiar with SQL
#safe-updates

[isamchk]
key_buffer = 256M
sort_buffer_size = 256M
read_buffer = 2M
write_buffer = 2M

[myisamchk]
key_buffer = 256M
sort_buffer_size = 256M
read_buffer = 2M
write_buffer = 2M

[mysqlhotcopy]
interactive-timeout

I know I'll need to use a different my.cnf to set variables for using
InnoDB.  I'd prefer not to do all this at one time, too many changes,
but I'm not being given a choice.

I've never used InnoDB before.  We're switching to it to eliminate long
table locks caused by reads from large tables.

Any advise about pitfalls/potential problems I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff