Dan, I haven't seen any other responses, so I'll chime in with my $.02. I think you should have very few problems upgrading from 3.23.58 to 5.0.22. I think you will in fact be able to do pretty much what you describe.

I've upgraded in both fashions in the past (re-importing mysqldump output and re-using existing MyISAM data dirs & files), and both are pretty straightforward. I've gone 3.23 to 4.0, 4.0 to 4.1, and 4.1 to 5.0, over the course of a few years, all smoothly. I wouldn't hesitate to try a 3.23 direct to 5.0 upgrade either way. If InnoDB were involved I'd be hesitant to upgrade without using mysqldump, due to my own lack of experience with InnoDB.

Potential gotchas:

1 - re-importing a mysqldump can take a while.

2 - you'll need a fair bit of disk space available to hold the mysqldump output and the resulting new database files

3 - If you are using any ISAM tables (MyISAM is OK) in 3.23 those could be problematic, as the table type / storage engine will be specified in the mysqldump output, and ISAM is no longer supported.

4 - passwords changed significantly with 4.1, but you can use the old password scheme with 4.1 and 5.0. You just have to know that you need to specify to allow old passwords.
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/password-hashing.html

HTH,
Dan

Dan Trainor wrote:
Good morning, all -

I've read for quite a while tonight, but still haven't been able to figure out - can I upgrade directly from 3.23.58 to 5.0.22?

I've read that I'd have to do something like 3.23.58 > 4.0 > 4.1 > 5.0.22, but then also the 'mysql_upgrade' application which, as documented, sounds like it can do magic things.

To be quite honest I'd like nothing more than to take a 'mysqldump' of the database, and just re-import that, and run an app such as 'mysql_upgrade' against it and call it good.

This will all be done on a pretty recent Linux distribution, CentOS 4.3. Nothing out of the ordinary, but an upgrade such as this one is definitely a bit out of my realm. I was able to do such an upgrade a few weeks ago, but added stuff like permissions by hand - there were only a few. However, for this particular instance, there's 250+ MySQL users.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
-dant

--