To: <mysql@lists.mysql.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 1:22 PM
Subject: multi-column indexes on InnoDB tables

Hi,

I have created 4, 5 and 8 column unique indexes ( I had to - the
application requirements dictated me to do so) on some tables in an
InnoDB only database on a 5.0.22 MySQL server running on XP-SP2
machine.  The 4-col indexes are on order, invoice and receipt tables;
the 5-col indexes are on detail tables corresponding to these master
transaction tables; the 8-col indexes are on link-up tables such as
OrderMenuItems, InvoiceOrders (used to record orders stacking up
against each invoice), InvoiceReceipts (multiple receipts against one
invoice), etc.

The many-col-index requirement is due to the fact that we have several
departments and each department has several order/invoice/receipt
desks.  There is a great likelihood of power failures on a daily
basis.  We are not using any UPSes.  We have generators but they start
after 15-20 minutes after a power failure.  The departments are
scattered over 50-60 acres (perhaps more) public area and even network
failures can occur because of weather-specific corrosion,
mice-digging-into-the-ground-and-eating-cable and other such problems.
So I have to store departmetn-desk specific data in local tables.  In
addition, communication with the main server is minimal.  Transaction
load is a few thousands transactions a day.

ALL I am asking is how strong you think MySQL stands up in such a
business scenario.  I have even created the manual business procedures
for power-failure scenarios.  I DO need to know HOW gracefully MySQL
will recover after each power failure or pull-the-plug situations.

I have to decide as to which database server I am going to use.  I
have so far only designed the db and written table-creation scripts
only.

I would genuinely appreciate your help and advice.

--
Best regards,

Asif