MySQL is shipped with a set of test cases and programs for running them.
These tools constitute the MySQL test framework that provides a means
for verifying that MySQL Server and its client programs operate
according to expectations. That's handy for anybody developing MySQL or
contributing code to MySQL. In case the preconfigured test cases (there
are hundreds) don't suffice the MySQL test framework can be extended by
writing test cases using the mysqltest language.

The MySQL test framework has been around for a long time, but making use
of the mysqltest language was something for the inaugurated only because
there was no documentation, except for this: "You can use the mysqltest
language to write your own test cases. Unfortunately, we have not yet
written full documentation for it. You can, however, look at our current
test cases and use them as an example."

Well, tables have turned, and the MySQL test framework is documented on
more than 60 pages now. For anyone contributing code to MySQL it's a
must-read. But don't be afraid, it's also fun to read, because it was
written by Paul DuBois. See for yourself:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/index.html#mysqltest

Regards,

Stefan
--
Stefan Hinz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
MySQL AB Documentation Team Lead. Berlin, Germany (UTC +2:00)