--read_only  is probably what you are looking for.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/server-system-variables.html

--
Eric Braswell
Web Manager     MySQL AB

Clyde Lewis wrote:
The idea is to prevent all users from applying changes to the system. Not just a single user. I'm trying to find something similar to Oracle's Read-only mode option during startup.

Thanks,
CL

At 02:38 PM 6/28/2006, João Cândido de Souza Neto wrote:
Why you don´t create a user with just select right and use him?

"Clyde Lewis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> escreveu na mensagem
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> All,
>
> Does MySQL have an option where the database can startup in READ-ONLY
> mode?  The idea is to have the server running with users connected, but
> now allowing any updates to me applied to the database. I've looked
> through the documentation, but was not able to find such a feature. If
> someone can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,

> Clyde Lewis
> Database Administrator