Steve,

>  INSERT INTO master_context_list (Context_ID, Target_ID)
> SELECT Context_ID = @ContextID, targets_list.Target_ID FROM targets_list
>      WHERE Target_ID IN ( SELECT Target_ID FROM #APPLICABLE_TARGET_IDS )

[EMAIL PROTECTED] tells the server to return 1 when the column value of context_id is equal to the value of the user variable @contextID, and otherwise zero. Not likely what you intend.

Apart from that, does the following, in standard SQL, represent what you are trying to accomplish?

INSERT INTO master_context_list (Context_ID, Target_ID)
SELECT l.Context_ID, l.Target_ID
FROM targets_list AS l
INNER JOIN applicable_target_ids AS a USING (target_id);

PB

-----

Orton, Steve wrote:
  Hello fellow listers,

  I'm currently trying to reduce our TCO by incorporating this fine DBMS and
replacing the MS SQLServer we're using.  I'm trying to re-implement the stored
procedures written for SQLServer to MySQL and have one that's tough to figure
out.

  This stored procedure basically finds ID values in one table that fit
criteria based on set flags in the table and puts them in another table along
with a context value that is assigned to the 'flag' settings.  This
'master_context_list' table holds all the IDs assigned to each context value.
So when the flags are changed or another context is created, the table is
updated with new ID values that fit the new criteria.

  The stored procedures make extensive use of MS shortcuts to create tables,
assign values, etc.  This is the MS SQL statement:

  INSERT INTO master_context_list (Context_ID, Target_ID)
SELECT Context_ID = @ContextID, targets_list.Target_ID FROM targets_list WHERE Target_ID IN ( SELECT Target_ID FROM #APPLICABLE_TARGET_IDS )

   So this is taking all the Target IDs that match in both 'targets_list' and
the temporary table APPLICABLE_TARGET_IDS and inserting them into
'master_context_list' along with the Context_ID with the value of @ContextID.
This sort of shorthand is nice for MS users, bad for the rest of us.

 When I try to run this in a MySQL stored procedure, I get this error:
    "Unknown column 'db_context_ID' in field list"

  I know why it's failing but there's a failure in translation.  Can anybody
figure out how to translate this into SQL that will work in MySQL?

  Thanks in advance for any help....steve---

Steven J Orton
Software Engineer
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems
Middletown, RI 02842