Have your where clause select the customer, sort result by autoincrement
column DESC limit 50

Only problem is the order would be the inverse (i.e., last in first
displayed) from your goal.  Only way I can thing to go around this would
be to select into a temp table and then sort that into the desired
sequence.
Just a thougth.

Dirk Bremer said:
> Dan,
>
> That might be close. The rows are inserted with an auto-increment
> primary key, but I have no ready way of knowing what the latest 50-IDs
> are. There are also various date columns, but I won't readily know the
> dates in this scenario.
>
> The goal of the query, which currently returns all of the results, is to
> find all entries for a given customer regardless of when they occurred.
> I would like no more than the last 50 rows inserted for this customer
> (this could be based upon the auto-increment value) and would prefer to
> have them ordered within the 50-possible results in the order they were
> inserted, from lowest-ID to the highest-ID. This will prevent the query
> from showing possible hundreds of results.
>
> There are multiple customers in the table.
>
> Dirk Bremer - Senior Systems Engineer - ESS/AMS - NISC Lake St. Louis MO
> - USA Central Time Zone
> 636-755-2652 fax 636-755-2503
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> www.nisc.coop

-------

William R. Mussatto, Senior Systems Engineer
http://www.csz.com
Ph. 909-920-9154 ext. 27
FAX. 909-608-7061