Hmmm ... several references online make it sound like that's all you
should need to do (the alter table statement, that is).

My next step would be to try a 'CHECK TABLE data QUICK' to see if it
reports anything unusual.  If it does, issue a 'REPAIR TABLE data'
command.  If check table quick reports nothing unusual, I would next
try a 'CHECK TABLE data MEDIUM' (or even EXTENDED), thought it could
take quite a while.  Then a repair table if it finds problems.

Or I guess you could get right to the point and run 'REPAIR TABLE
data' since it will not hurt anything if there are no problems!

Barring that - I've not run into this problem, myself.  You could
possibly copy the data table into a new table, data2, discard the
original, and rename the new to match the old.  This would give you a
table created from scratch with the proper size definition.  Something
like:

create table data2 like data;
show table status like "data2";   <-- check your max data length to
ensure it's OK
insert into data2 select * from data;
<get coffee>
<wait>
<get more coffee>
select count(*) from data2;  <-- make sure your data moved OK
drop table data;
rename table data2 to data;

If you're using anything complex like foreign key constraints this
gets messy quickly though!  Also, with 4.3 GB of data, the process of
inserting the rows from data into data2 will take a while.  Finally,
you'll have to watch your disk space while this happens, as it's 4.3
GB of table plus indexes.

Dan