Those warnings always give me pause, too - but I used mysqlhotcopy in
production for about 5 years at my previous place of employment.
Probably like the warnings about threading in perl 5.8 - been using
threads in production for nearly 2 years without a problem.

Only 2 problems with mysqlhotcopy that I recall, both related to the
same poor decision on my part: I hard-coded the list of databases to
be backed up in a shell script run by a cron job.
Problem #1: when people created new databases, they wouldn't be backed
up until we remembered to add them to that shell script.
Problem #2: when someone dropped a database, the nightly snapshot
started failing until we removed that database name from the shell
script.

Would've been a lot better if I'd started off using a regex to specify
all databases instead (something like --regexp=/./  ).  Come to think
of it, I don't know if using a regex was an option in 2001 ... I see
it in the man page now.  Neat-o.

I only once had to restore a table "in anger", after one of my staff
made use of a poorly qualified delete statment.  Worked fine.  I did
use the hot-copied files several times to set up test databases and
later a replication server.

Note: using hot-copied files to set up test databases will break
replication.  Bummer, but quite logical.

Dan