OK so it seems to be a bad idea ... I was expecting that I missed a magic command like "set readonly on all databases" ... however, still thinking in a probably bad solution , what about setting unix file system acces mode to the database files to read only (400) wouldn't be a good idea ? (if I don't care about clients trying to write, i just want those trying to read to be able to do so )

Dan Buettner wrote:
I personally would be wary of a solution like what you're proposing
(locking all tables, that is).

The problem I see is this - you lock all tables and proceed to move
your data over to another host.  Meanwhile, clients could well be
queueing up insert or update commands that are simply blocking,
waiting for you to release the locks.

At the end, when you either release the locks or shutdown the database
server, those clients' operations may complete, but against the
outdated databases on the old host, or they may go into a deadlock
waiting for the host to come back (and not come out of it), or they
may fail ... or you may have users who think their computer is frozen
and reboot, losing work.

Seems risky, too much potential for data loss.

I would insist on finding a window in which to shut down the database
server and accomplish the migration in an orderly fashion.

Dan