Hi all,

I'm following the instructions [1] to convert character set. Unfortunately I get
warnings about truncated data for some rows in several columns. All the
truncated columns are text type.

Assuming the `col' column is text type and actually contains correct utf8 data
but has wrong character set I use the following queries to fix it:

ALTER TABLE table MODIFY col BLOB;
ALTER TABLE table MODIFY col TEXT CHARACTER SET utf8;

After the second query I get warnings about truncated data for some rows and I
can actually see the rows truncated. I played a bit with different data types
(LONGBLOB/LONGTEXT) but wasn't successful.

So my question is what can be the cause of the data loss and how to avoid it?

Thanks in advance.

[1] http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/charset-conversion.html

Cheers,

--
Timur Izhbulatov
OILspace, 26 Leninskaya sloboda, bld. 2, 2nd floor, 115280 Moscow, Russia