Hello list,

we use MySQL 4.1.13 / InnoDB on Xeon em64t running Debian, kernel 2.6.8.

After a while, queries run slower and slower, although the CPU is >70% idle
and diskio is nearly zero. A simple select by primary key takes up to one
second. After doing a FLUSH TABLES the speed is up again.

I also noticed that 4.1.15 seems to run slower than 4.1.13 but that might be
subjective.

As far as I know, FLUSH TABLES reopens the tables and clears the query
cache. Query cache is enabled, but does not seem to cause the slow down, as
I can observe the same effect without the query cache.

So it looks as if some buffers run full, or a lock is blocked or something.
The queries running do not hang in any specific stage (such as "waiting for
lock").

Even stranger: we have 4 servers of that type (hardware, software,
configuration all identical) and two of them need a flush tables every now
and then, the other two (which have more load, 5000 q/s compared to 1500)
are performing without problems.

Well, if anyone has an idea what causes the slowdown, and/or why a flush
tables helps, I'd be glad to hear from you ;)

Thanks,

Moritz