On Jul 12, 2006, at 12:58 PM, Chris White wrote:

On Tuesday 11 July 2006 04:18 pm, Brian Dunning wrote:
My understanding is that SCSI has a faster transfer rate, for
transferring large files. A busy database needs really fast access,
for making numerous fast calls all over the disk. Two different,
unrelated things.

I am more than willing to be called Wrong, slapped, and cast from a
bridge.

Hmm, not sure if the question at hand is being answered. The topics I've seen so far seem to indicate why SCSI is fast. However, the original question was
more along the lines of "Does it matter with regards to database
performance?". From what I know of MySQL, not really, because MySQL does a good amount of work in memory. The only time I'd see disk access being a
factor is if you had a large mass of swap/virtual memory.

Now one place where I'm sure it would matter is if you were doing a
substantial amount of logging, or db dumping to disk. Then yes, you'd want a
nice fast disk at that point.

That's just silly. ALL databases attempt to do as MUCH AS POSSIBLE in memory. The disk is ALWAYS the enemy when it comes to a relational database. The only question is the design of the database and of the queries. If you have some leeway to muck about with the design of each then you can often find ways of making the database *do less work* (talk to the disk/ram less) which is always preferable to trying to make the disk faster.

-JF