(apologies for the late reply).

1) A warning doesn't stop the rest of the script from running.
Temporary tables go away at the end of the session, and aren't visible
to any other session, so the server not being able to handle those
commands is no big deal.

2)  I'm using MySQL 5.0.19-standard-log on linux and I cannot
reproduce your warning -- I put the create temporary table statements
into a file, and ran it on the OS commandline (using mysql < file) as
well as on the MySQL commandline (using source file;).  In both cases,
the script ran just fine, no errors or warnings.

-Sheeri

I'm trying to restore a MySQL database in v5.0 (that minor number is in
the teens, I don't have it at hand).  I get a bunch of warnings like:

Warning: Do not know how to handle this statement at line 28:
CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE `CHARACTER_SETS` (
  `CHARACTER_SET_NAME` varchar(64) NOT NULL default '',
  `DEFAULT_COLLATE_NAME` varchar(64) NOT NULL default '',
  `DESCRIPTION` varchar(60) NOT NULL default '',
  `MAXLEN` bigint(3) NOT NULL default '0'
) ENGINE=MEMORY DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8;
Ignoring this statement. Please file a bug-report including the
statement if this statement should be recognized.

Warning: Do not know how to handle this statement at line 86:
CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE `COLLATIONS` (
  `COLLATION_NAME` varchar(64) NOT NULL default '',
  `CHARACTER_SET_NAME` varchar(64) NOT NULL default '',
  `ID` bigint(11) NOT NULL default '0',
  `IS_DEFAULT` varchar(3) NOT NULL default '',
  `IS_COMPILED` varchar(3) NOT NULL default '',
  `SORTLEN` bigint(3) NOT NULL default '0'
) ENGINE=MEMORY DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8;
Ignoring this statement. Please file a bug-report including the
statement if this statement should be recognized.

I've searched the list archive and the bug database without finding a
clue.  What's this about?  How do I work around it?