Better late than never....

I believe the reason is because (at least on unix) if you connect to a
database on the same machine (using -h localhost or just omitting the
host) it will use the socket -- and therefore saying "host=localhost"
is like saying "if they come from the unix socket", where as saying
"host=IP" or "host=name" is like saying "if they come from the port
and match the host".

It's extremely frustrating; in a heterogenous OS environment it can be
even worse.  Machines with more than one A record don't always show up
the same way when they're connecting, so you can't just specify
host=IP or host=name, but have to specify something like
host=xxx.xxx.% or host=%.domain.com (or both, since I have no idea
what controls whether or not the connection is seen as coming from ip
or host -- I believe it's OS specific).

It stinks, but we can wait until LDAP authentication comes along....see

http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/faq.html#sec3

"SEC 3. Does MySQL 5.0 have built-in Authentication against LDAP directories?
   No. Support for external authentication methods is on the MySQL
roadmap as a "rolling feature". This means that it is not a flagship
feature, but will be implemented, development time permitting.
Specific customer demand may change this scheduling. "

-Sheeri