Fleet, I'd also humbly suggest that the version you're using is VERY
old and you should update to at least the latest 3.23 (3.23.58 I
think), or 4.x, or maybe even 5.0 (production since last Fall).
Untold numbers of bugs fixed since 3.23.36.

Dan

On 7/17/06, Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I'm using MySQL 3.23.36 on RH 7.1. I've created a table photos (in
> database album) with the following colums:
>
> ID NUM AUTO_INCREMENT PRIMARY KEY
> IMAGE MEDIUMBLOB
>
> I'm running mysql from the command line:
>
> mysql -u root
>
> 'root' has all privileges.
> The file I'm trying to load is /home/fleet/image.jpg
> It *is* world readable.
>
> INSERT INTO photos (image) VALUES (load_file('/home/fleet/image.jpg'));
>
> Gives no errors; but all I get in the column is NULL.
>
> SHOW TABLE STATUS photos;
>
> Shows column width to be 30.
>
> I've tried every permutation of this statement I can think of, with NO
> success.  MySQL Reference Manual for version 3.23.36. suggests:
>

> mysql> UPDATE photos
>            SET image=LOAD_FILE("/home/fleet/image.jpg")
>            WHERE id=1;
>
> This produces exactly the same thing - no errors; but no data in the
> column.

Does

show warnings;

produce anything after you try to import the file?

Does anything show up in your mysql logs (general or error logs) ?