I have tried this also, but this produce those bad character. I have used
exactly what you have done above.

When restoring the database which was backuped using mysqldump into mysql
5.0 everything is OK, but when restoring it to mysql 4.1 then there is those
bad characters.
I have also tried to backup and restore with both version of "mysql" &
"mysqldump" included in 5.0 and 4.1, but without success.

-Amir