Tripp,

  ibdata files never shrink. You can try this  to free up space:
* Take a mysqldump of  all tables that you may need,
* delete  the ibdata files,
* Rebuild your tables by importing the dump.

Using innodb_file_per_table, will freed the disk space whenever you run optimize table or delete the table. Performance wise, using individual tablespaces may help in I/O load balancing, if tablespaces are spread over disks.

--Ravi

Tripp Bishop wrote:
Howdy all,

I'm trying to clean up a development server so that we
can retask it. I tried dropping a very large but no
longer necessary database that uses INNODB tables
exclusively. Unfortunately the disk usage on the box
didn't change. We're using a completely default MySQL
5.0.15 install on the box (a small centos linux box)
so we don't have innodb_file_per_table set in a my.cnf
file.
So I've got two basic questions...

First, how can I get rid of the current ibdata file?
It's taking up a lot of space. Do any of the mysql
databases (information schema and mysql) use INNODB
tables? What's the correct procedure for freeing up
this disk space?

Second, are there still issues with
innodb_file_per_table and indexes or has that been
eradicated? It seems like it was a problem early on in
the mysql 4.1 life cycle. I just wanna be sure. Also,
Does innodb_file_per_table enhance performance (even
if the tablespaces are all on the same physical disk)?
Just curious.

Cheers,

Tripp