Dan Buettner wrote:
Dan T -

Well, if all your data files are MyISAM, then I only see one potential
problem, and that is the area of user permissions.  I believe that
things in that area have changed around enough that if you simply
re-use those tables as-is (as-are?), you may have some difficulties.

All your other databases with .frm, .MYD, and .MYI files - should be
fine.  The MyISAM engine itself hasn't changed (to my knowledge) since
3.23.  Those files are platform-agnostic and re-usable by different
versions of MySQL.  I once moved a set of 3.23.x files on OS X to a
Linux box running 4.0 without trouble.  Also went from OS X to
Solaris, though with same MySQL verison.  Just put the files in the
proper data directory, and mind the filesystem permissions.  For
safety's sake use copies not originals.

As to the MySQL permission problems you may have - I'd recommend using
the included "mysql_fix_privilege_tables" script (in bin directory on
my 5.0 install).  Says it updates the privilege tables to comply with
4.0 and above.

Also mind the new password hashing in 4.1 and 5.x; you can enable the
old passwords, but you have to explicitly do so.

HTH,
Dan

On 7/18/06, Martin Jespersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi -
>
> Well, I've been trying a few things with this, however I can't quite
> seem to get to the point where this would be any easier.
>
> The problem is, I only have data files.  I don't have a MySQL dump, and
> don't see myself being able to grab a dump anytime soon.  So I guess
> what I'm faced with now is bringing up a 3.23.58 server anyway, if only
> for the purpose of a massive MySQL dump.
>
> How's that sound?
>
> Thanks!
> -dant

HI -

Just to update... I actually did do the upgrade path suggested by dev.mysql.com. It worked, and worked well. I think using RPMs for this made the job a hell of a lot easier, too.

Anyway, I just wanted to follow up, hopefully this will help someone in the future.

Thanks
-dant