> On Thursday 20 July 2006 12:48 pm, Bing Du wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>
>> mysql>update research set publications='loooong text in a file' where
>> uid=319;
>
> You already have the data in a storage system ( a file on the filesystem
> ).
> That said, use what you have, store the location to the file, then grab
> that
> and use it to open the file and get the contents, using that for whatever
> purpose you may have.

Thanks Chris.  What you said makes sense to me.  Sure I can do that in a
script.  But I'm still not clear how it can be done from the 'mysql>'
command line.  I cannot change the table definition to make the
'publications' field to store the location of the file.  The
'publications' field stores the actual content of the file.

Bing