To: <mysql@lists.mysql.com>
Sent: Sunday, July 23, 2006 1:58 AM
Subject: mysql/syslog - 100,000s of log messages on restart

I'm running MySQL 4.0.23 on a Debian Sarge system.

Often, when I reboot twice in a short time period, MySQL doesn't seem to
shut down gracefully -- it takes a long time for it to come up fully, and
if I reboot before that, I get a lot of log messages.  I think it takes
about an hour to come up fully, although the system is an Athlon XP 2200+
CPU with 2G RAM and not a huge amount of other activity.

My first concern is figuring out how to avoid getting hundreds of
thousands of messages in syslog -- right now grep mysql /var/log/syslog |
wc -l gives 366635 and counting just for today. The log messages look
like this:

Jul 22 16:29:01 bostoncoop mysqld[1993]: mysql tables in use 1, locked 0
Jul 22 16:29:01 bostoncoop mysqld[1993]: MySQL thread id 252, query id 8143 localhost tpryor statistics Jul 22 16:29:01 bostoncoop mysqld[1993]: /* LinkCache::addLinkObj */ SELECT page_id FROM `page` WHERE page_namespace = '0' AND page_title = 'Zwijnaarde' LIMIT 1 Jul 22 16:29:01 bostoncoop mysqld[1993]: ---TRANSACTION 0 0, not started, process no 1992, OS thread id 2954361776 waiting in InnoDB queue

There's also a bunch of INNODB MONITOR OUTPUT.

I'd like these messages not to get logged at all -- it's far too many to
be useful.

Second, I'd like to have MySQL log to /var/log/mysql/mysql.log rather
than syslog. my.cnf seems to be very poorly documented on this issue. It
says it is a "performance killer" to log to a specific file --
presumably, using the syslog facility gives better performance. But I
can't find any way to filter the syslog logging back to a separate log
file -- for example, by setting the syslog facility for MySQL as you can
in PostgreSQL. The only documentation in MySQL relating to syslog
facility configuration is in the clustering section, which I don't
believe has anything to do with what I'm doing.

Third, I'd like to figure out why it's taking so long for MySQL to come
up; why it doesn't go down gracefully; and why there are so many log
messages generated as it is coming up.

My my.cnf is attached -- it's fairly standard.

Thanks for any tips.
--
Adam Rosi-Kessel
http://adam.rosi-kessel.org

Information contained and transmitted by this E-MAIL is proprietary to Sify Limited and is intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If this is a forwarded message, the content of this E-MAIL may not have been sent with the authority of the Company. If you are not the intended recipient, an agent of the intended recipient or a person responsible for delivering the information to the named recipient, you are notified that any use, distribution, transmission, printing, copying or dissemination of this information in any way or in any manner is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please delete this mail & notify us immediately at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Watch the latest updates on Mumbai, with video coverage of news, events,
Bollywood, live darshan from Siddhivinayak temple and more, only on
www.mumbailive.in

Watch the hottest videos from Bollywood, Fashion, News and more only on
www.sifymax.com