  From: Michael Stassen
  To: Paco Zarabozo A.
  Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 1:50 AM
  Subject: Re: Granting all to a user with a db name prefix

  Paco Zarabozo A. wrote:
  > Hello All,
  >
  > I'm trying to GRANT ALL to a user only on DBs that math a prefix, but i
  > can't find the way to so it on the documentation. Let's assume the username
  > is "john". I want him to have all privileges only on databases with the
  > prefix john, so he can:
  >
  > - create and drop databases starting ONLY with john (like john_sessions,
  > john123, john_mytest, john_mail, etc)
  > - have any kind of privileges on such databases
  >
  > According to the documentation, i can use % and _ as wildcards. However,
  > mysql gives my an error if i try to use % wildcard. Only _ wildcard is
  > accepted, but the following example:
  >
  > GRANT ALL ON JOHN_.* to 'JOHN'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'foo';
  >
  > ..only allows user john to create databases starting with john, followed by
  > ONE single character. Using this, i can give 32 different grants in order
  > allow up to 32 characters after 'john', but i'm sure that's not the way.
  >
  > If i try the wildcard %, i get an error. I've tried the following:
  >
  > GRANT ALL ON JOHN%.* to 'JOHN'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'foo';
  > GRANT ALL ON 'JOHN%'.* to 'JOHN'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'foo';
  > GRANT ALL ON "JOHN%".* to 'JOHN'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'foo';
  > GRANT ALL ON 'JOHN%'.'*' to 'JOHN'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'foo';
  > GRANT ALL ON JOHN*.* to 'JOHN'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'foo';
  > GRANT ALL ON 'JOHN*'.* to 'JOHN'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'foo';
  >
  > ..and almost all similar ways. Am i missing something? I temporarily fixed
  > the problem by directly editing mysql.db to change the wildcard _ for % in
  > the respective record, and it works fine. However, i really want to know
the
  > right way to do it. I hope someone there gives me the answer.
  >
  > Thanks a lot, have fun.
  >
  > Francisco

  If you look closely, the answer is in the example at the end of the paragraph
  you cite from the manual: "GRANT ... ON `foo\_bar`.* TO ..."  You need to
quote
  with backticks, the one thing you didn't try.  Hence,

     GRANT ALL ON `JOHN%`.* to 'JOHN'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'foo';

  should work.

  And yes, I would agree that's poorly documented.

  Michael